2013/06/29

The Recruitment Circus

I've had a tough glance into the realities of the journalism career prospects. They demand everything from you, and in the end, you can't even expect to be paid. Not a penny. It's outrageous. Yet it indicates  how much fun and how stimulating it must be once you reach the status of a paid journalist. But it is hard to know.

I haven't given up hope but I also understand what I lack. Being a competent multi-tasker and all-rounder is a requirement, but you also have to excel at something. And working professionally in a broadcasting team means having a role and performing it to a very high standard.

Still, the search for the right publication or context for productions remains a crucial skill that I need to work on. I was initiated on liberal documentaries and if I want to do television I should adopt their stricter, steadier style. But then again, I enjoy the reporting part and should perhaps give up on the technical side and focus on that.

It's clear that school doesn't prepare you for the working life so it's good to "get out there" as far in advance as possible. He seemed to see potential in me which is good. I wonder if I can step it up a notch on my technical skills. Would that require different cameras? (I think so...) We'll see.

And I should have a look at a production company more in line with my interests. To get work experience there. I would love to shadow a camera operator for a day to see how it works; how they direct, what equipment they use, etc.

NOW the next scary adventure: the BBC! I'm happy my supervisor seems nice.

Getting around, pitching stories, asking for work experience EVERYWHERE. The summer has just begun and the rest of my life. I'm very lucky to be as successful as I've been. Being persuasive is a part of journalism isn't it?

I must do my research before I go there... WHO IS WHO and WHAT IS WHAT etc...

My university seems to have put everybody off being a journalist so that's a little less competition at least... !

I hope my English is functional again. Switching languages is harder than I remember it. It's funny I spoke less Swedish in Denmark than I do here...

Life comes as it does...

No comments: